Friday 4 January 2013

UDK: What and Why?



The Unreal Engine was first illustrated in 1998, featured in the renown FPS video game 'Unreal'. The Unreal engine is easily transferable to many platforms and game genres making it popular amongst designers. Since the first Unreal Engine in 1998, a further two more were built during the technological evolution of game engine power. The Unreal Engine 2 debuted in 2002 and The Unreal Engine 3 in 2011 thus representing finer graphics, animations and renders. In 2009, Unreal made their engine software free to the public, this is called the Unreal Development kit or better known as UDK. By making UDK available for all designers, enabled popular and indie artists alike to produce innovative new games. UDK make a profit share in any money earnings to thus keep the software free and accessible to all.

UDK is an incredibly powerful game engine, that has powered many games on formats such as the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii U and iOS devices. Some well known games powered by the Unreal Engine are, Gears of War, Duke Nukem, Deus Ex, Bioshock, Splinter Cell and Borderlands.

Borderlands
Gears of War 3
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction


I have decided to use UDK when lighting my 3D environment as I believe it is important to learn, especially being an aspiring game designer. I want to be able to export my Maya made models into UDK, texturing and UV efficiencies as well as rendering and lighting. For my project I was going to export an object into UDK and light it, but unfortunately I was unable to access a powerful PC computer during my extension and my Mac could not run the software. Instead I decided to continue to model an object, as well as texture to refresh my UV knowledge and light the item in a scene with new techniques. I will also reference the importance of UV efficiencies and texturing with understanding Texels.


Bibliography:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/gearboxsoftwarecom/images/_/9/af31920406bf84e594586ec496f28091f5dce7cf.jpg

http://blog.gamer20.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Gear-of-Wars-3-1.jpg

http://assets.onehitpixel.com//2011/02/Splinter-Cell_04.jpg

http://gamedevwithoutacause.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/UDK_LOGO_blackglow.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment