Thursday 3 January 2013

My Vision

After compiling my research together, I decided to get some artistic work down as my mind is brimming with ideas. I figured it relevant to do some plans of what I want my 3D Subway environment to look like. Although my 2D digital painting skills are not as strong as my 3D work, I figured it relevant to play with colour and light a little bit to experiment with potential ideas. I have also decided to do a small focus on the particular items and assets within my environment, such as seating, vendors and rubbish bins. This will give me more insight when it comes to building my own 3D environment and also gives me a chance to get some relevant ideas down.



This is a very quick speed paint I did in Photoshop. I just wanted to play with perspective, structural design, colour and light. Although the image is roughly painted, I quite like the sense of depth it has with the structural shape. I also used hints of Red, as previously inspired by existing examples, I figured it relevant to complete the theme. I am quite pleased with how it turned out, as it gave my some insight to where I will be going with my environment design.

Positive Light

Negative Light

Here is my second speed painting, with a little more time considered. I have been reflecting on my research from both artist and video game examples. The vision of my environment feels a lot clearer after painting this picture and I feel confident in the application of colour as well as light placement. I have also begun to consider the types of lighting used. In the image you can see overhead spotlights which set a diffusion of the curvature of the ceiling. I have also made large areas of blue, ambient lighting that will illuminate the station with subtle cooling gradients. I strongly believe the application of blue is a good method for portraying a calm and positive environment. For my more negative environment I will wash out the colour of blue and focus more so on the application of shadows.

To represent my design thought process, I decided to draw up some blueprint designs of the environment plan and included assets. I have had some vision of what I have wanted my Subway station to look like for some time, so It was nice to draw up my idea. I especially enjoyed making blueprints for possible assets, such as seating, rubbish bins and vendors. It gives me a little more 3D visual planning, so when I come to potentially model this components, I have a good basis on where to begin.

Here are the blueprint designs for my environment, starting from the upper level, down:



Here are some asset blueprint designs, showcasing potential objects that will be included within my 3D environment:



Here are seating and rubbish bin examples. Displaying variants between modern and old. 


Here are some variants of vending machine, again old and modern designs. I prefer the modern design of vending machine here, as I believe I could play with the lighting methods in a modern way, more so than the classic example.

I think it is good to get some practical research done, as I am able to express my ideas and plans more visually. Although I understand this is a research project, I believe examples above show what I have learned and what I intend to do based on my study. I have already got many plans and details I want to include in my 3D Environment. I have also conducted a study in 3D of lighting technique, modeling an asset and refresh my knowledge of UV mapping and texel efficiency.


No comments:

Post a Comment