Friday 4 January 2013

Lighting Asset in 3D Scene: Maya

I decided to further extend my study of lighting methods by producing another room with a more complex lighting method. When I eventually come to producing my own environment, I want to be able to make objects 'emit' light. Objects such as lamps, light bulbs and illuminated surfaces. Understand how to apply and alter light behaviors on object surfaces, will broaden the potential of my finalized environment. Therefore I believe this next conducted study will boost my skills in a productive way.

Here are the screenshots showing my step by step methods:




The two screenshots above are to show the 3 different types of light I have applied to the room. Similar to my previous exercise, I have two 'Area' lights and a ceiling 'Spotlight'. However this time, my spotlight source will be emitting from a physical object.

 

In this screenshot I selected my ceiling object and went into the 'Window' tab in the tool bar, selected 'Rendering Editors' and chose 'Hypershade'. Hypershade is a powerful and unique component that allows you to experiment with different textures and lights which can be transferred to your models. You are able to apply many elements and combinations to your models, generating exciting new looks and features.



In the 'Hypershade' window I began by selecting a 'Mia Material X' to my work area. This will be the material that will reflect my chosen light source and make it appear to 'glow' from the object.


I then added a 'Mia Surface Light' to my work space. This is the type of light that will be attached to the Mia material, producing a 'Spotlight' source.


I centered clicked and joined the Mia Surface light to the Mia Material. A small drop down menu appeared and I selected the 'Additional Colour' tab. This is what will bind the material and light together, which will actively produce the spotlight.



I then had to make some adjustments so that the new light would emit the right information. On the far right of the screen, I have adjusted Fg contributions and Reflective contributions to 4.000. This is adjust the intensity and reflective properties of the object. Thus making the light source appear to 'glow' Which is good when applying to the scene, as all light sources such as bulbs and lamps 'glow. I need this affect to be present.


I then dragged the new light source and applied it to my ceiling object.


I then went into the Render Settings tab and made some adjustments there to compliment the effect of the light source. I selected the 'Final Gathering' check box as this important selection makes all light accounted for with my environment, thus creating the 'illuminated' effect. I then altered my 'Point Density' selection to 1.500 and my 'Point Interpolation' to 50. This function will alter the intensity of the light and how it reacts within my environment space. The 'Accuracy' was also adjusted to 250, so that the light reacts in a more 'realistic' way, taking into account other objects in the space.


I then set the Render Settings to 'Mental Ray' and 'Production' quality. I also changed the resolution to 'HD 720p'. This will make my final render of my scene of a high quality, thus making the lighting effect more visually effective.


Like my previous lighting exercise, I added two Area lights to two opposite walls of my room. These will accentuate the power of my illuminated object and make the light reach further across the room. I made the intensity very low, just to subtly add more visual depth to the final render.


Here are my final renders of my test environment. I also constructed a basic 'Bin' model with a Blinn material, just to show the effects of the lighting surrounding it and how Mental Ray casts dynamic shadows and reflections. I am very pleased with the final outcome and really admire the simple, yet effective method of object illumination. I will be able to implement this method into many other light sources, with different intensities, colours and effects. Also the way in which the object actually glows really makes it appear to be an accurate source of light.


Here is another render screen from a different perspective.

 

In this image I decided to change the colour of my light source to a less intense 'Grey'. I actually really liked this effective, as it still made the ceiling spotlight appear to be the main source of illumination with the subtle 'glow'. However, the environment is darkened, making it appear less spacious and airy. I think this is a good understanding to take on board when it comes to producing my two variants of environment. Understanding the way in which light can portray atmosphere and emotion, is an important asset especially with my chosen project. I believe the change in settings shown above, effectively create different types of atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment